Monday 2 August 2010

Non-dairy cream 甜忌廉


Who would like to have cream but NON-Dairy, taste like what – soy ?


In Hong Kong, non-dairy cream(甜忌廉)  is very popular for cake decoration. It’s because we don’t get use to milk and cheese, just like other Asian country. Whipping cream sometimes is too heavy for our taste buds. You hardly find any cake shop selling cupcakes with massive butter cream icing to cover it.

Personally, I am very health conscious. Cake with icing and whipping cream at the top - sorry not my cup of tea. After learning how to make butter cream in the cake decoration class, I am more resisted it by considering how much sugar and butter is used.

Can't find anywhere to sell non-dairy cream in Melbourne. Are you crazy, there have plenty of cow in here but you like to use non-diary cream.

I found the recipe in ehow webpage. Taste is really great, not so sweet, have lemon favor, soft and creamy.  It can form stiff peak and stand firm. I purposely kept in the fringe for 2 days to see whether it would change to liquid form or not. Answer is NO.

Next time, I will use it to decorate my cake, let see how it goes !

Ingredients
Non-Dairy Creamer 1 cup
Cold water ¼ cup
Lemon juice 1 tablespoon (chilled)
Icing sugar 3 tablespoons

Method
1. Before starting, put the mixing bowl and the beaters in the refrigerator to chill.
2. Put lemon juice, non-dairy creamer and cold water in the mixing bowl
3. Beat on high speed about 1 minutes or until soft peaks form
4. Add icing sugar gradually and continue to beat about 2 minutes or until stiff peaks form

* Non-Dairy Creamer is coffee whitener. I use Nestle coffeemate which is made from glucose syrup, vegetable fat, milk protein ...
I feel like meeting my long lost friend again. It was what I had on my birthday cake at home.
Love it !

1 comment:

  1. I have never thought of using non dairy for cakes and toppings......I will have to look for it in the stores and give it a try!

    ReplyDelete